On Monday 3 July, 2023, the Lions Club of the City of Adelaide held their annual handover dinner at the Royal Coach Adelaide.
It was a great night celebrating the amazing community service Lions members have been involved with during the past twelve (12) months. A few highlights included the Lions Children of Courage Awards project, feeding the homeless and hungry with Fred’s Van and the Hutt Street Centre, distributing blankets to the homeless, presenting the Lions & SAPOL Citizen of the Year Award, making and donating over 1,000 cushions and over 2,000 book bags (with over 8,000 children’s books), and so much more. It was also fantastic to induct five (5) new members.
We were honoured to hear from our guest speakers, Magadalane Yel and Joseph Mawien, who run the Mama Magadalane Scholarship Fund supporting youth in Sudan. It was an inspiring presentation with incredible passion and dedication.
Our Lions don’t volunteer their time for recognition, but it’s important to recognise the amazing passion, dedication and work our lion members put into serving the community. There were a number of awards presented, including, but not limited to:
- PDG Tony Pederick OAM (Helen Keller Fellow)
- Sylvia Salagaras (Lion of the Year Award)
- Andrew Stacey (Melvin Jones Fellow)
- Club’s President’s Award (Lyn Bermudez)
- Club’s President Award (Marilyn Pederick)
- President’s Appreciation Award (Carla Hirst)
- President’s Appreciation Award (Kaleeda Rasheed)
- President’s Appreciation Award (Harvey Grantham)
- President’s Appreciation Award (Robin Gill)
We look forward to a bigger and brighter 2023/24 Lions year.